The Egoscue Static back is my favorite go-to passive exercise to stack the body right and reduce back discomfort,. While being passive (you just get into position and lie there), the force of gravity against the relatively hard ground allows your body to work a lot, reducing rotation at both the pelvis and shoulder.
This E-cise is for you if:
- You have a sore back or disk injury
- You have a forward slumped posture
- You have a pelvis or shoulder disparity (different from the other side)
- You want to relax and improve your posture at the end of the day
|How to Perform this E-cise™
Diaphragmatic Breathing (especially while in an aligned state) will help to create better thoracic stability AND lessen your stress levels. It’s not always easy to just “be less stressed”. This is an activity you can do to help with that.
Here is how to do ideal diaphragmatic breathing.
1. Place one hand on your belly and one on your clavicle. Your lower belly hand should be the one moving, but you should also be breathing out to the sides of your ribs and into the back. You breathing should not just rise up into your collar bone or neck.
2. Breathe in and out, silently, through your nose
3. Make your exhale longer than your inhale. *important as this is how to be in that less stressed state. You can also HUM on the exhale.
4. Tongue on roof of mouth, teeth apart, lips together, eyes level, neck and shoulder at rest.
How to make this EVEN BETTER? YL Valor essential oil- a smear on your shoulder and feet. Many of you know how much I love my essential oils. Valor has been the oil I have used most consistently in my practice this way. Valor’s nickname is the “chiropractor” because it’s electrical current is similar to bones. Its named Valor because Roman soldiers (known for their valor) used to cover themselves with this before going into battle. Who doesn’t need a little valor these days! (Valor is a blend of black spruce, camphorwood, blue tansy, frankincense, and geranium oil.)
For more information on Egoscue postural alignment (done online right at home) please contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org . Interested in essential oils- also contact me or get more information HERE…
Thanks for reading!
Rachel Dixon, LMT