We are inundated on a daily basis with toxins we cannot avoid. The world we live in is toxic, the air we breathe is full of pollution, our water is not 100% clean. Fortunately, there are many things we can avoid and control when it comes to what enters our bodies. Choosing to fuel ourselves with foods that naturally fight toxins is an essential step in decreasing our toxic load.
Here are five foods that naturally detox the body…
- Garlic. Packed with sulfur – a mineral that supports the body in detoxification. Garlic is also extremely valuable to the body as it contains antifungal, antiviral and antibacterial properties that keep your immune system resilient. Best news yet – it’s delicious and a great addition to almost any meal. So, eat up!
- Turmeric. You may know this beneficial herb as the main spice in curry. Great for inflammation, free-radical fighting antioxidants, and detoxing the liver. You can use turmeric to season your veggies, add into your soups, take it as a supplement or make a homemade turmeric tea. (recipe below)
- Leafy greens. It’s no surprise that I’m telling you how advantageous it is to eat your greens, right? Loaded with vitamins, minerals, and nutrients, getting greens into your diet will leave you with lasting results. Greens are also filled with fiber which helps you to feel satisfied longer. You can be sure to get your greens in salads, green smoothies, juicing and cooking your greens into your meals.
- Dandelion Root. You may not have been expecting that one! Yes, dandelion root has incredible health benefits – especially beneficial for your digestive system and your liver. A favorite way to add this into my diet is by drinking dandelion root tea, which you can pick up at your health food store.
- Beets. Beets are fantastic for detoxing the liver, among the tremendous amount of antioxidants, calcium and vitamins they possess. I love to purchase cooked beets at the store and use in a smoothie. (If you have a really strong blender like a vitamix- this isn’t necessary…)
Detox Tip: If you notice, many of these detox benefits include detoxing the liver. When the liver is clean and functioning optimally, your body is better able to balance your energy, hormones, and the rest of your body functions more pleasantly.
Anti-Inflammatory Turmeric Tea Recipe
(Adapted from www.littlefig.wordpress.com)
- Bring 4 cups of water to a boil
- Add ½ TBS turmeric, 1 TBS fresh sliced ginger, a handful of cilantro, 1 garlic clove crushed, and 5 peppercorns- let steep for 10 minutes…
- Add 1 ½ TBS raw honey, the juice of two lemons and a splash of coconut milk or olive oil.
Strain, and serve!
I hope this information was useful!
Starting in October, I will be running a Tuesday 8-9 am group class at my office and possibly an afternoon class series as well. If you have an interest- please let me know.
Possible class series:
Functional Foot Series
Detox your Life
Eating with Intention
The 14 Day Cleanse